Saint Peter's Catholic Church
905 Main Street-Ordway, CO 81063
Adobe reader needed to view files on this page. Click here to get it free.
In the early days of 1905, Fr. Michael Rank came at the request of a group of German Catholics who had migrated from Kansas and formed a parish in the Ordway and Sugar City area. St. Paul mission church was built in Sugar City in 1905. Afterwards a parish rectory was built in Ordway 1906. The rectory was constructed so Mass could be celebrated in the larger living/dining room. Plans were made to construct St. Peter Church adjacent to the parish rectory. On May 28, 1906, Mass was celebrated for the first time. The first baptisms of Marian, Paul and Jacob Adam were on July 22, 1906
On January 11, 1907, a contract for the church was signed. The original price was $920.00. Some remembered sitting on nail kegs for the services. On May 10, 1907 the church was ready for services. Seventeen people received First Holy Communion on June 16, 1907 and on August 11 twenty nine received confirmation with Bishop N.C. Matz of Denver presiding.
A contract for an addition to the church and completion of the interior was signed on September 2, 1907. The south part was built first with the addition of the east/west section added in 1910. Interior fixtures were gradually added until on May 10, 1908 the community finally had a church to worship in.
Fr. Michael Rank continued to serve the parish until May 18, 1915. He was forced to retire due to his failing health and died at St. Mary's Hospital in Pueblo shortly after. There have been nineteen priests assigned to the parish since Fr. Rank.
Check out the pictures from the past. Click here.
Use browser back button to return to this page.
Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
Contact Person: Paul Romero