Mary Queen of Heaven
602 7th Street-Fowler, CO 81039
Adobe reader needed to view files on this page. Click here to get it free.
Prior to 1953, most Catholics in Fowler attended mass at St. Peterís in Rocky Ford. Parents taught their children religious education at home, then took them to Rocky Ford to receive the sacraments. In 1953, Fr. Edward Pettit, the founding pastor of Mary, Queen of Heaven, celebrated the first area mass in a private home.
Fr. Pettit continued to occasionally celebrate mass at various homes in the community, and at the IOOF Hall above the Post Office. Religious education classes for teenagers and young adults were also held in various Catholic homes. Then in December 1957, the Queen of Heaven Chapel was purchased from the Lutheran congregation for $7,000 and moved to its current location.
The Catholic Extension Society donated $4,000 toward the purchase of the building, with the remaining amount pledged by parishioners. The building was paid for in two years. The small, parish community of approximately sixty families became a mission of St. Peter in Ordway, which is located twenty miles northwest of Fowler.
Sunday at 12:00 p.m.
Contact Person: Jean